My Artificial World


I remember not long ago  
the sunshine upon my face
as I walked along park trails
full of wild flowers, and the
laughter of children playing.

Then the virus struck, and my
once Idyllic life turned upside
down. Now, my world has
become surreal and artificial.

I now hide within the confines
of my abode from the merciless
enemy which lurks invisibly in
the world I once knew.

Even going shopping has changed.
People seem nervous and on
edge. I quickly buy what I need
and retreat back into my electric
powered world, where my TV
informs me about the latest
news on humanity’s deadly
nemesis.

Meanwhile, people are losing their
homes and getting evicted because
their jobs have all gone under, and
people suffer and fall ill and then
tragically pass away. My heart is 
torn and tears fill my eyes for my 
fellow human beings, as I pray 
for my friends.

It is now the beginning of
summer and the beauty of the
spring has bid us its farewell.
But alas, the beaches are empty
and so are the swimming pools
and restaurants and nightclubs.

Even my home away from
home the public libraries are
now closed, and I mourn for 
the books I love so much.

As I enter my front door the 
air conditioner welcomes me
and advises me to stay inside 
as the whir of a fan creates a 
breeze which belies the heat 
outside.

Within my solitude my 
phone rings, constantly with 
the robocalls of scammers and
telemarketers, and the texts on
my cellphone offers me the
latest in online sales.

But I yearn to stroll into a real
mall with shoppers surrounding
me like busy bees in a hive. 
With the laughter and joy and 
of smiling faces.

Ah, those were the days, but it is
only within my imagination that
my old world still exists. Now,
I pray that my fridge and stove 
do not break down and that
the water and electricity which
power my artificial world
doesn’t fail.

Hopefully, in the future someone
will find a cure and put an end to
the horrors of Covid-19. Perhaps life
may even return to the way it was
before?

Until then, I will continue living
within my artificial world. But,
I shall continue to dream, hope,
and long, for a return to the old
beautiful world I once knew and
will always cherish!


F. Solis 2020
All Rights Reserved







Comments

Popular Posts